Saturday 28 July 2012

How many Europeans are running right now? And why?

I'm not looking for the exact number of Europeans that are actually running on this Saturday evening, just wondering how many runners hit the roads of Old Europe on a regular basis.
I've just seen this article from RunningUSA, with the annual report of the running industry, certifying an increasing number of American runners. That's very good as often we hear of obesity as being a big problem especially in children. Obviously running can defeat (or at least control) obesity.
So I got curious about the percentage of Europeans runners and I found this page.
36% of Europeans between 15 and 65 years of age are regular runners.
Honestly, I don't believe it.
I mean, it depends on what we consider running. If a slowpace walk on the seaside wearing sneakers is considered running, then it's ok, it may be truth. But even considering a light jog as running, I don't believe that 36% of the Euro population run on a regular basis. Maybe someone running to catch the bus everyday can be considered a runner. If so, then 36% would make sense.
Numbers apart, the article is good, not a scientific read but still entertaing. The part on discovering the mental benefits of running should make running even more alluring to sedentary people.

No comments: